Location/Address: Northwest Ohio Opportunity School
Independence Education Center (IEC) Campus
6950 Independence Road, Defiance, OH 43512
School Hours/Day: 8:10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Mission: The mission of the Northwest Ohio Opportunity School is to provide an alternative, but challenging environment for at-risk students. The school serves both long- and short-term students. Long-term students earn credits through our online curriculum so that they may rejoin their class to graduate on time, attend vocational school or CBI, or complete their district's graduation requirements. Our typical long-term student is in grades 9 through 12. Short-term students attend to remain in a school setting and get credit for their schoolwork while his/her serving suspension time. Our typical short-term student attends for one to ten days and is in grades 6 through 12. Short-term students work on school-assigned lessons and activities.
Calendar: Our school follows the Independence Education Center (IEC)/NW Ohio Opportunity School calendar. In inclement weather, the Northwest Ohio Opportunity School follows the IEC for delays or closures.
Transportation: Student transportation will be coordinated by the home school and the parent/guardian. The Opportunity School does not provide transportation. Students may ride the bus to Four County Career Center and then ride to the Opportunity School with another district that has students attending, but this must be coordinated by the home school. A shuttle is provided from the IEC/Opportunity School back to Four County Career Center in the afternoon. Students are not allowed to drive to the Opportunity School/IEC campus.
Opportunity School Parent/Student Handbook: Our handbook, which includes all of the required forms needed to get both short- and long-term students enrolled, can be found on the NwOESC’s website by clicking on the link below:
2023-24 Opportunity School Handbook
- Long-Term Program (credit recovery) is $75 per day/student. Long-term placement is not applicable for students on IEPs. Partial-day enrollments will be billed at the full-day rate.
- Short-Term Program (in-school suspension) is $55 per day/student (up to 10 consecutive days).
Opportunity School Staff
|Stacey Parrish, Opportunity School Supervisor||Phone: 567.444.4800; x4846|
|Email: [email protected]|
|Piyawan Chapman, Instructional Assistant||Phone: 567.444.4820 or 567.444.4800, x4770|
|Email: [email protected]|
Process for Student Enrollment
- Contact Stacey Parrish by phone (567.444.4800) or via email at ([email protected]).
- Send purchase order to NwOESC’s business office (must be in place before enrollment can begin).
- Complete enrollment forms and email them to both Stacey Parrish and Piyawan Chapman ([email protected]).
- Stacey will collaborate with the principal to discuss the placement of the student.
- A transcript listing completed coursework will be provided to the home school at the end of the year for long-term students. A report detailing the work short-term students completed will be provided to the home school.