Interested in becoming a Substitute Teacher or Substitute Paraprofessional?
Please complete the online application through our online portal, Applitrack.
- If you have a Bachelor’s Degree and are interested in substitute teaching, you may be able to obtain an Ohio Substitute Teaching license.
- If you have a high school diploma and are interested in working in a classroom as a teacher’s aide, you may be able to obtain an Ohio Educational Aide Permit.
- For the 2022-23 and 2023-24 school years only, you may be able to obtain a Temporary Substitute Teacher License. This license is for people interested in substitute teaching who do not hold a post-secondary degree and meet the NwOESC or district requirements. Please note each district may have different requirements for this license and NwOESC highly recommends interested people contact the districts they want to substitute for regarding their requirements.
- If you do not hold a current license from the Ohio Department of Education please click here. All license applications are now done on ODE's website. Step-by-step guides titled "How to apply for..." can be found at the bottom of this page.
There may be additional items to be completed onsite, such as background checks, and if help is needed with your Ohio Department of Education license application.
Applicants may indicate preferences in school locations from a list of participating districts (see bottom of page), as well as indicate preferences in grade levels (Preschool-Grade 12) and classroom types (regular and special education classrooms).
Timeline for becoming a substitute
Once all of the application paperwork is submitted, the timeline is as follows:
- If you are applying to be a substitute for the Northwest Ohio ESC special education classrooms - we add substitutes after approval by our Governing Board to our Red Rover substitute contact/online system. Substitutes can set their preferences of districts that they wish to substitute in for NwOESC special education classrooms within Red Rover.
- If you sub only for the local districts - we send your name to the districts after our Governing Board meeting which is generally held on the 4th Tuesday of each month. The districts may wait until their board meeting for approval of their list of substitutes.
The rate for substitute teachers is $100.00 per day. After 60 days in a specific position, the substitute teacher is paid based on their training and experience on the Board adopted salary schedule and becomes eligible for benefits. Local district substitute rates may vary slightly.
The daily rate for substitute paraprofessionals/attendants is $70.00 per day. Local district substitute rates may vary slightly.
Districts & Programs
Districts that use our substitute list are as below in addition to NwOESC programs including Independence Education Center and Northwest Ohio Opportunity School:
|Defiance County||Henry County|
|Ayersville||Four County Career Center|
|Fulton County||Williams County|
|Pettisville||Millcreek West Unity/Hilltop|
|Pike Delta York||Montpelier|
Contact Amy Mitchell at 567-444-4806 for substitute application & certification questions.